TMF Health Quality Institute focuses on promoting quality health care through contracts with federal, state and local governments, as well as private organizations. For more than 45 years, TMF has helped health care providers and practitioners in a variety of settings improve care for their patients.
TMF was chartered in 1971 as a private, nonprofit organization of licensed physicians (MDs and DOs) to lead quality improvement and medical review efforts in Texas. Originally known as the Texas Medical Foundation, the company changed its name to TMF Health Quality Institute in 2005 to reflect the expansion of its work throughout the nation.
TMF’s programs and services—ranging from quality improvement consulting and technical assistance to research, data analysis and medical review—engage all aspects of health care. Our programs have worked directly with thousands of physicians and other health care providers across the United States, affecting millions of people from children to senior citizens.
- Since 1984, TMF has been a Quality Improvement Organization (QIO), improving care provided to Medicare beneficiaries through cooperative efforts with the health care community. In 2014, TMF became the Quality Innovation Network (QIN)-QIO for a region comprising Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico and Texas. In this role, the TMF QIN-QIO focuses on the following:
- Improving cardiac health
- Reducing disparities in diabetes care
- Reducing harm in nursing homes
- Enhancing the coordination of health care for patients to reduce unnecessary hospital readmissions
- Improving drug safety practices
- Promoting appropriate use of antimicrobials (including antibiotics)
- Ensuring that eligible clinicians can easily comply with Merit-Based Incentive Payment System requirements and smoothly transition into Alternative Payment Models
- Assisting providers with quality reporting
- Improving immunization rates
- Increasing screening of depression and alcohol use disorders
- Supporting the Transforming Clinical Practice Initiative.
- In 2017, TMF began providing support and technical assistance to small medical practices in generally underserved areas to aid them in preparing for the new Quality Payment Program, which was established by the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015. TMF provides practices with services in a region comprising Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico and Texas.
- TMF began serving as a subcontractor to the new Hospital Improvement Innovation Networks in 2016, providing one-on-one consultation to hospitals to support their performance improvement efforts.
- In 2013, TMF was selected by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation to provide and manage a National Learning Network for physician practices participating in the Comprehensive Primary Care Initiative. TMF is now supporting this initiative’s successor, Comprehensive Primary Care Plus, by coordinating education efforts across 14 Regional Practice Networks; TMF is also providing local regional support for practices in Arkansas, Michigan, Oklahoma and Greater Philadelphia.
- To help prevent inappropriate Medicare payments, TMF provides comparative data reports nationwide to all short- and long-term acute care hospitals, critical access hospitals, inpatient psychiatric facilities, inpatient rehabilitation facilities, hospices, partial hospitalization programs, skilled nursing facilities and home health agencies to facilitate proactive monitoring.
- In 2001, TMF started performing on-site quality assurance activities for state Vaccines for Children programs and has since conducted this work in six states.
In 2011, TMF acquired C2C Innovative Solutions, Inc., a Medicare Qualified Independent Contractor. This acquisition expanded TMF’s scope of services and increased its presence in the government contracting market.
C2C has proudly served as a federal contractor for the Medicare program since the inception of the second-level appeal process in September 2004. Since then, C2C has earned six Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Excellence Awards and has received favorable marks on all its contractor performance evaluations. Currently, C2C has contracts that span all 50 states and U.S. territories.
C2C specializes in providing health care sector support and administrative services in the handling of Medicare second-level appeals and payment resolution disputes between health care providers and insurance companies. As a Qualified Independent Contractor, C2C has successfully managed task orders, spanning Medicare Part A, Part B, Medicare Advantage Payment Disputes and Durable Medical Equipment. C2C’s decision making presence extends nationally under its current task orders.
In 2013, TMF established the TMF Foundation in support of TMF’s vision to improve lives by improving the quality of health care. The TMF Foundation is the charitable arm of TMF with a mission to empower individuals and families with information, strategies and tools to improve health. In partnership with local elementary schools, the foundation delivers the Coordinated Approach to Child Health (CATCH) Amplified program. CATCH Amplified provides high-risk campuses with a no-cost health and wellness curriculum, an organic food-producing garden and weekly support through gardening curriculum, healthy snacks and a strong staff wellness effort. The TMF Foundation also facilitates My Lunch Rocks! and its associated programs, Go H2O (a healthy hydration education program) and Eat the Alphabet; these programs have promoted healthy eating in the school lunchroom for more than 25,000 children throughout local school districts.
We partner with health care providers in multiple settings and projects:
TMF partners with health care providers to ensure that every patient receives the right care… every time.
Bylaws of TMF Health Quality Institute as revised July 26, 2014.
Contact TMF Health Quality Institute
Bridgepoint I, Suite 300
5918 West Courtyard Drive
Austin, TX 78730-5036
Click here for map
Telephone and fax numbers